We normally think of mold as something that affects the basement. It’s cool and dark down there, perfect for mold. But, the attic also provides a haven for mold. A leaky roof or a faulty shingle or two can allow enough moisture into the attic for mold to take hold. Keep reading to discover 5 tips for cleaning up mold in your attic.
- Ventilate. Many attics are not very well ventilated and are full of stagnation. Put a fan in the attic to help dry out the area and prevent more spores from finding a purchase. If there is a window up there, make sure that it’s open to help ventilate the area. Do your best to put a dehumidifier in the attic, as well. The more you can remove moisture and humidity from the air, the better chance you will have to successfully eradicate mold and mildew.
- Repair. If your roof is the cause of the problem, it’s imperative to have that fixed so that you don’t end up fighting a never-ending war. Check the caulk around any windows or other sealed corners to prevent any problem with moisture entering the attic. Once you have isolated the problem contact a roof repair specialist. To help prevent water damage problems, do regular roof inspections and head off any problems before they arise. Once the roof is taken care of, a mold remediation specialist can get to work.
- HVAC. In addition to the fans and ventilation, you will want to run an HVAC filter to trap any mold spores before they are able to create colonies in your attic. This way, when you do the actual mold removal and remediation, you can be certain to get it all with less worry of the problem re-occurring.
- Clear out the area. This might be a good time to sort through any items you have stored in the attic. Remove as many stored items as possible to allow more air circulation and to ensure that there are fewer spots for spores to land and grow into mold.
- Contact a specialist. A mold remediation specialist will have the solutions you need to perform a successful removal. Once you have a team of professionals on the job, you can be confident that your home will once again be a healthy, mold-free place for your family to grow and thrive.
Found mold in your attic? Call Rapid Dry Services, the experts in mold removal.