Once the main water is gone after a flood, it is tempting to think that the job is finished. While most of the work is done – the furniture, flooring, and walls seem safe – there is still more to do. Dehumidifying the home will need to continue for a while after everything is cleaned up. This post will discuss a few reasons why dehumidifying is necessary after water damage has been discovered and cleaned up.
Mold can proliferate after a flood and cause significant health problems. People who encounter a mold infestation may deal with symptoms such as respiratory problems, fatigue, and sore throat. Mold will also cause rot and damage to any affected boards or natural fibers, as in a sofa or other upholstered furniture. When the area has been dehumidified for a long period of time, the spores will disappear and your home can resume life in its natural, healthy way.
Mold isn’t the only issue to consider after a flood. If the water damage comes from an overflowed river or other natural source, there may be dangerous bacteria in the water that can remain after the puddles and pools are drained. A dehumidifying session – which may last several days or weeks – will help dry out those little critters that can wreak havoc on a person’s digestive tract or even cause a bacterial infection.
Professional Dehumidification Service
Many water damage remediation services include professional dehumidifying as part of their package. They can do the main flood cleanup, including remediation under wood floors and drywall water damage. They do this because even slight moisture on the surface of a board, carpet, or fabric can cause lasting problems. Dehumidification remains to be the best solution to eliminating mold from water damage and preventing potential health risks to the residents of the home or building.
Dehumidifying Tips for the Homeowner
One thing you can do to help dehumidify your home is to keep all doors open. Don’t forget to leave even the closet doors ajar while the dehumidifier is running. However, since these tight spaces might be a bit harder to completely dehumidify, it might be wise to purchase a few desiccant packets. These are larger versions of the silica gel packs you might be used to finding in vitamin jars. You might also want to run a small space heater in the closet to help dry it out. If you use a space heater, be careful that it is used safely and will not pose the risk of potential fire damage.