The Dos and Don’ts of Water Damage
Water damage can happen for a number of different reasons. It can happen to homes, offices, commercial facilities, and other establishments. It can damage not only floors but also walls, ceilings, furniture, and appliances.
Water damage is not something you should take lightly. It can even cause structural damage, which can cost you a lot in repairs. To help you handle this the right way, here are some dos and don’ts that you should remember when it comes to water damage:
- Do remember to find the source of the water damage and stop the flow, if possible
- Do remove as many items standing in the water as you can to prevent additional damages. These can include furniture, décor, plants, and appliances.
- Do get the bottoms of drapes, curtains, and blinds out of the water if the water is deep enough to reach the bottoms of these window coverings.
- Do turn off your circuit breaker if the flooding can affect electrical outlets, electrical wires in the walls and floors, or appliances that are sitting in the water.
- Do try to remove as much water as you can from the area with a mop and rags.
- Do try to remove any floor coverings that can be taken off the floor, such as area rugs and floor mats.
- Do open doors and windows to help with the drying process. If you can, use fans to help with this as well.
- Do contact Rapid Dry Restoration for professional help with water damage restoration and the proper drying of the flooded area.
- Don’t try to suck up water with your vacuum, even if it is a wet/dry vac.
- Don’t operate any electrical equipment if you are unsure of the extent of the water damage that you are experiencing.
- Don’t use newspapers and other printed paper materials to absorb the water on carpets or bare floors. The ink can stain your carpets and your floors.
- Don’t walk on the wet areas of your floor if you can help it. You might risk electrocution or step into contaminated water that can make you sick.
- Don’t forget to contact Rapid Dry as soon as possible to remedy the situation.
In Rochester and Buffalo, NY, the company you can trust to help you with your water damage restoration needs is Rapid Dry Restoration. With years of experience and certified restoration specialists on hand to help, you can rest assured that your water damage problems will be dealt with properly in no time.
Aside from dealing with water damage, we also handle other restoration work that you might have. These include fire damage restoration and content restoration. We also take care of mold growth via our mold remediation services. No restoration job is too big or too small for us, so contact us at 585-252-5929 to get the help you need today.